23 Best Work From Home Jobs to Make Extra Money
This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure.
Researching the best work from home jobs available can be quite tedious. Working back-to-back double shifts is exhausting. Even the daily 9-5 grind can become wearing (especially when you aren’t fulfilled in your current role).
To help with your search, we’ve compiled a list of the most flexible jobs including everything from online business to freelance jobs and telecommuting jobs. Stop searching endlessly for Indeed work from home jobs!
But first, a warning: Work from home jobs aren’t just for stay at home moms.
Anyone can earn an income at home nowadays. Don’t believe me? Take a look at the child YouTube star Ryan from Ryan Toy Review. He makes money online reviewing toys with the help of his parents.
Ryan Toy Review videos brought in an incredible 11 million dollars in 2017 and doubled revenue at a whopping 22 million in 2018! If a six-year-old can do it, anyone can make money working at home.
Best Work From Home Jobs Online
Tim Ferris’ popular book The 4 Hour Workweek was written and published in 2007, at the height of the financial crisis. At a time when retirement accounts were dwindling, homes were being foreclosed on, and people were losing their jobs left and right, Ferris offered an alternative career path.
While some people jumped at the opportunity to test their entrepreneurial drive, others became a victim of their circumstances. Their scarcity mentality held them back from achieving the dream of being their own boss and escaping the 9-5.
- Symposium –
- Affiliate Marketing – Affiliate marketing is a great way to make money from home, and you can start earning right away without having to start a blog. It works like this. Companies want to promote their products and services. As a blogger, I have built an audience who trusts me and believes me when I share a positive (or negative) experience with a product. Companies pay bloggers (or affiliate marketers) a fee in exchange for promoting their products and services.For example, if I were writing a blog post about how I renovated my kitchen for $7,000 and my home equity increased by $30,000, I would share relevant links to the hardwood flooring, kitchen countertops, cabinet knobs, backsplash, and other items used in my renovation project. When a reader clicks the link and purchases, I earn a small commission. Sometimes they don’t even have to purchase the item I promoted!Non-bloggers can promote affiliate products on Twitter and Pinterest. This is much more difficult to do because you aren’t telling a story but rather promoting a product. It is, however, possible.
- Freelance Writing Jobs – Writing for multiple publications gives you the freedom to cherry pick your favorite companies and topics. Scroll down for a comprehensive list of how to find freelance writing jobs.
- Start a Money-Making Blog – It’s pretty unbelievable that you can actually earn money writing about something you love. So many people ask, “How do you actually make money, though?” Blogging allows for multiple streams of income from ad revenue to affiliate marketing and sponsored posts. You can learn how to start a blog here with my easy-to-follow tutorial.
- Start a YouTube Channel – Becoming a YouTuber seems like an unrealistic way to make money from home, right? I mean, who’s going to pay you to record videos of yourself? The answer is advertisers and sponsors. This works much like blogging but on a different platform. Instead of writing blog posts, you set up a camera and record yourself. YouTubers make money talking about toys (see Ryan Toy Reviews above), finances, hair and makeup, music, homeschooling, and every other topic under the sun.
Jobs for Stay at Home Moms
I have an entrepreneurial drive and have tried several types of work from home jobs. All of the opportunities listed in this article are perfect jobs for stay at home moms. Women and men alike are finding ways to earn money remotely, saving money on fuel and wardrobe expenses.
Multi-level marketing companies, often referred to as “pyramid schemes” are preying on women, particularly stay at home moms. I was recently interviewed by Glamour Magazine for an article about MLM’s mom shaming.
MLM companies, such as Beachbody, are targeting women with specific hashtags to pitch their ‘business opportunity’. Unsuspecting victims might post a selfie of them with their babies and use the hashtag #postpartumsucks or #newmom.
Beachbody coaches then send a cold direct message to the moms offering to help them lose the baby weight and make money from home. MLM’s are the worst jobs for stay at home moms (or anyone else for that matter) because the business model is set up to make the company rich while independent contractors earn very little, despite taking endless selfies and putting more and more money into the business.
I know because I used to be one of them. I quit Beachbody coaching a few years ago but share the experience every chance I can in order to help others.
My totally unsolicited advice? Don’t fall victim to the multi-level marketing work from home jobs. Instead, consider any of these 76 ways to make money on the side.
Freelance Writing Jobs
Freelance writing jobs have become increasingly popular for millennials as it is a way to pick and choose which subjects you want to write about. If you’ve done any searching for freelance jobs, though, you’ve probably run into a fair amount of junk postings. This list can help you cut through the junk.
Best Places to Find Freelance Writing Gigs:
- ProBlogger – More than 300,000 bloggers use ProBlogger to find freelance writing jobs. You can search by keyword and location, and it’s not just a job search website. Darren Rowse created the site as a community for blogging professionals to learn and grow.
- FreelanceWritingGigs.com – This site offers a job board and listings nearly daily with remote work from home jobs.
- Indeed – Although I mentioned early that Indeed isn’t the only place to search for freelance writing jobs, you can find several companies looking to hire right away. It has become a trusted source for job seekers.
- MediaBistro – This company offers several options, and while many are not remote, they occasionally offer freelance gigs.
- Craigslist – Be extremely cautious with this one. Craigslist has so much spam I almost didn’t add it to the list. But there are some legit work from home jobs. Do your due diligence and never provide sensitive information through Craigslist postings and/or email. Don’t say we didn’t warn you!
- Writers Weekly – Writers Weekly offers job postings in the form of classified ads. It is dedicated to assisting writers and can be a great job search tool.
- AllFreelanceWriting – All Freelance Writing is an excellent source of information for freelance writers. You can listen to podcast episodes on the site, learn writing tips, use ebooks, tools, and templates to launch your writing business as well as find freelance writing jobs.
- JournalismJobs.com – Some current jobs listed on Journalism Jobs include Entertainment, Culture, and Celebrity Reporter for USA Today, News Writer for MIT Sloan, and Freelance Enterprise Reporter for Concealed Carry Magazine.
- BloggingPro – You can find all sorts of writing jobs on Blogging Pro but what’s even cooler is their job search tool. The ability to perform a detailed search by industry, position, location, job status, etc is invaluable!
This is just a small list of where to find some of the best freelance writing jobs. Do you know someone looking for extra income from home? Share this article with them! And be sure to let us know when you land your first freelance job!
Get My Tips Delivered Weekly!
Receive my best tips for saving and making money via email! You'll get behind-the-scenes footage of my budgeting techniques and debt payoff methods.
I’ve done all the things! Girl, I’ve washed my face. I’ve trashed everything that doesn’t spark joy. I’ve walked the baby steps. I’ve cried. I’ve prayed, but my perfectionism has really held me back.
Perfection Hangover can be crippling. Stop comparing yourself to others and start living your best life! That’s why PH exists! I want to encourage you to take control of your money, your blog, and your business.