This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure.
Your grocery budget is one of the easiest places to find out how to save money and be more frugal. We all know that grocery shopping is a big part of our budget, especially if you have a large family.
I have a family of five, and I can tell you that I have figured out how to feed our family by spending less than $100/ week on groceries.
First, some basics on budgeting:
If you take away one thing from this post, please know that budgeting is absolutely a vital part of your financial success.
You can’t just keep blindly spending money, allowing your money to control your entire life. You have to control your money.
How to Save Money on Groceries
1. Be Aware of Spending Distractions
There are three parts to tip #1 of how to save money on groceries. Let me break them down for you.
- Do not go grocery shopping on an empty stomach. If you are hungry, you will likely overspend and bust your budget on junk…on things that you don’t need or things that your household doesn’t need because you were hungry when you went shopping.
- Don’t bring kids with you to the grocery store. I know this is hard for some families. I have three kids of my own, and a lot of times I don’t have a choice but to bring them.
But if I can go grocery shopping while they’re at school or while they’re with their Dad, it makes things so much easier. I sometimes have my husband sit in the car after Church with the kids while I go into the grocery store shopping by myself so that I can focus.
I need to be able to get the things that we need and get out. I stay on task easier when I’m alone than when I have our kids with me. The main idea is to not be distracted by all of the delicious, flashy end caps and displays of food.
- Part 3 of tip #1 is don’t talk on the phone while you are grocery shopping because, I mean, this is an obvious one. It’s easy to get distracted having a conversation and you’re not paying attention to what you’re really doing.
I can be having a conversation with someone, and before you know it, I’ve added all sorts of items to the shopping cart that weren’t on my original shopping list.
2. Follow a List and Calculate Cost as You Go
Another tip on how to save money on groceries is to make sure that you’re adding up how much each item costs when you put it in the basket.
You need to have already created a budget when you go in and KNOW “I’m not gonna spend more than $75 this grocery trip” and really stick to it.
The way to do that is to grab one item at a time. If it costs $1.39, you’ll round up to $1.50. You’ve got two of those, so that’s $3.00.
And you just start adding in your head, and before you know it, you’re up to $27, $32, $33, $38, etc.
You just keep adding as you place items in the shopping cart. Amazon sells these counters that you can click, and they will count for you as you’re grocery shopping.
- Easy to Use: Our tally counter can count to 9999 as maximum figure (Please Note: this counter Cannot Subtract Number). Only a few rotating of clockwise is needed to reset. Powerful function and convenient operation are what matter most of a counter clicker!
- No Batteries Required: With no battery loaded, our clicker counter works with mechanical parts, displaying 4 digits accurately. No need to worry about the electrical power. Time to choose the counter which is eco-friendlier and more durable!
- Solid & Durable Materials: Endowed with durable full metal case, our pitch counter feels durable and sturdy, smooth surface, sturdy ring wraps around the finger, counter could stay securely in your hand.
- Wide Application: Any occasion you would require a counter such as school, lab, sport event, golf, casino, bar, concert, & coach, etc.
- Quality Guarantee: Each piece of KTRIO tally counter is guaranteed with 100% satisfaction assurance. Any issues related to product quality please feel free to contact us for a full refund or replacement.
These are so handy and perfect for those who aren’t great at calculating in their head. You definitely want to add as you go so that you don’t go over budget.
Use the Cash Envelope Wallet System
Another way to save money on groceries is to pay with cash. When you are grocery shopping, this comes out of your cash envelope wallet for grocery money.
I explain how to use the cash envelope system to avoid going over budget in this post. Here’s the skinny:
If you take $75 in cash with no backup plan and go over budget, you’re gonna have to take something out of your basket.
So having cash envelopes and keeping track of spending will help you stick to the plan…stick to the budget when you have an actual cash budget and grocery list to follow.
When you use your debit card, you tend to overspend because you really aren’t keeping track of how much you’re spending. For tips on how to manage your personal banking accounts, check out this post.
- Wise & Useful Money Controller: Get away wanton waste of money. Magicfly all-in-one cash envelope wallet will help you manage your money well, rationalize your expenditure, stay out of debt, start saving and thus realize your financial goals. Wisely budget your every week/month expenses with this all-in-one wallet
- Special & Ideal Gift: This functional envelope budgeting system comes with 1 fashionable wallet, 12 budget envelopes, 12 budget sheets, 12 sticker labels, 1 binder note, all packed up in 1 colorful package box, an unique and perfect gift for Christmas, Birthday, Anniversary, etc.
- Stylish & Portable Wallet: Elaborately crafted with high-quality & elegant-grained leather, paired with easy-to-use zippers, classy and practical. Size: 8.5''L*5.1''W*1.3''H, Weight: 0.83lb. It’s spacious with for storing your phone, cards, coins, etc. yet lightweight & portable with almost the weights of two iPhone 11
- Durable & Multifunctional Budget Envelopes: Made of waterproof laminated paper, tear resistant and built to last. Each measures 6.6''*3.5'', compatible with the banknote size, also suitable for receipts, coupons, stamps, checks, etc. Keep your wallet neat & tidy with these versatile envelopes
- Well-Organized Budget Sheets & Labels: The labels can be stuck to the envelopes for easy classification. 12 double-sided budget sheets allow you to record and keep track of each category of expense and income, which assists you to spend your money reasonably and get rid of money-consuming life
3. Shop at Aldi
Another way to save money when grocery shopping is to shop at Aldi whenever possible. Aldi is a great money-saver for our family. This post is in no way sponsored by Aldi. I’m just a huge fan of saving money!
I can buy a dozen eggs for 25 cents and milk for $1.80 for a gallon. You can save so much money on a lot of the staple items and stay within budget.
If there are some items that you prefer a specific brand that is not available at Aldi, you can go to Walmart or to your local grocery store for the filler items. But it is definitely worth making two separate trips.
I know it’s a pain, but you will save money.
If you use even one or two of these tips when trying to save money on groceries, I can promise you’ll come out of the store with more than you expected.
I’ve done all the things! Girl, I’ve washed my face. I’ve trashed everything that doesn’t spark joy. I’ve walked the baby steps. I’ve cried. I’ve prayed, but my perfectionism has really held me back.
Perfection Hangover can be crippling. Stop comparing yourself to others and start living your best life! That’s why PH exists! I want to encourage you to take control of your money, your blog, and your business.
Last update on 2020-11-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API